In December, I got the sudden inspiration to piece together a quilt top using the orange squares I had already cut, and some extra blues I decided not to use in Micah's quilt. I also had some scraps (dots and a ___) that would coordinate alright, so I threw those in too.
This top has been sitting around in our house, waiting to be finished, as has a teal twin sized sheet that would coordinate perfectly. So, on Monday (I think... the days blur together a little bit), I sandwiched the quilt up, and I've been quilting it all week.
I didn't have a piece of batting that was big enough for the entire quilt, so I improvised and used two separate pieces... so far I can't tell a difference, and there doesn't seem to be any lumps or anything where the seam is, but time will tell. I figured that since we were just going to use this for going to the park and around the house, I wasn't too worried about it.
I had fun with the quilting, using this as an opportunity to try some new techniques. I tried pebbling, which was pretty fun, but it sure used a lot of thread! And I also tried quilting words - I chose scriptures that are ones I really love and feel like our kids should know, and quilted them over the squares. It turned out alright. You can't read the words very well unless you spend a lot of time looking at it, but I like knowing that they're in there. From the back you can see the words a little better, but backwards.
Edited to add: Audrey started to cry and I forgot to type out the verses I put on the quilt! They are:
Oh taste and see that the Lord is good! - Psalm 34:8
As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord - Joshua 24:15
The Lord is gracious and compassionate.
For God so loved the world that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall have everlasting life.- John 3:16
Audrey made sure to try it out too. She seemed to like it!
We'll put it to use for the first time tonight at our softball game!