Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Baby Franklin's Gray and Yellow Quilt

Here are a few pictures of the most recent quilt I finished. It is a baby quilt (but kid-sized) for our friends' new baby, due in June. The gender is a surprise, so I wanted to make something gender neutral. Our friends chose gray and yellow for the nursery, so I used that theme and ran with it.


I used a Riley Blake line of fabrics - Maritime Modern by Marin Sutton, which I ordered online from Hawthorne Threads. I really like their website, and the more fabric you buy, the better price you get! I also used a few Free Spirit solids, Arctic White, Jade, and Lemon.


For the pattern, I ordered the 'Bizzy Kid' pattern from Allison Harris of Cluck, Cluck Sew. I frequently read her blog, and I enjoy her take on modern quilting. Her version is very bright and colorful, so this is a different take on the pattern. 

When we went to my dad's house for Easter, I took my mom's sewing machine - which used to be my grandma's machine. It's one of the first computerized sewing machines, from the 90's. It's a Pfaff, and it's amazing! Much better than the Kenmore machine that I bought a few years ago. 

I used my machine to do all the piecing, and my mom's to do the quilting. It was fun to try free motion quilting again - it took a little practice to get the circles to seem somewhat circular!


I had so much fun making this quilt! I loved working on it, knowing that it was going to go to such a special little one. And I can't wait to share more of the projects I've been working on.

2 comments: