Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Giant Willow Star

A friend from our church had a baby in September, and I was honored to be able to throw a baby shower for the two of them at our house! It really was fun to plan the shower, but my favorite part was that there was a sweet baby girl to make a quilt for!

I found some fat quarters of Riley Blake's organic cotton line, Willow, at a quilt shop in Winthrop, WA when we were camping this summer, and they were perfect for this quilt. I also found Jeni Baker's tutorial for the giant vintage star, and wanted to try out this pattern. I love the idea of a quilt block enlarged to be a giant size. It was simple but I think it turned out really pretty!


I added a Moda solid, but forgot the name of it, as well as the green which was a fat quarter that I got from my mom. I'm not sure where I got the white, or what it is, but it's really soft! With a small scrappy border and scrappy binding, I think it turned out really well!


I did all straight line quilting which really isn't my favorite to do, but I love the final look of it! This quilt ended up having a vintage look that I didn't really anticipate. 



For the back, I ordered a yard of one of the prints from the Willow line off of Etsy, and got a half yard of the solid from my local quilt shop. 


I love how this quilt turned out, and now I want to make another, maybe even larger, for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment